Traveling internationally

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sakaki, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Sakaki
    Chat with Me

Sakaki Well-Known Member

Thinking of going to belguim towards thanksgiving. I would fly to New York first then fly to Belgium. Then on the way back New York first then back to the city I first flew out of. From what I heard in the us you have to go through customs when you first land in the US if it's a connecting flight. Not sure what to expect anyone that's traveled abroad I'd appreciate hearing your experience navigating through the airports. I've traveled alot but never internationally

2. cumishaamado
    Chat with Me

cumishaamado Love Virgins, Couples & Girlfriend Experience

I've traveled back and forth to Zurich, Switzerland for one year before COVID. Checkout what you need before your trip...if you need a current COVID Injection before your trip and if there's a "mask requirement. The airlines are very strict on weight (50 lbs) of your baggage that you check-in. When you arrive at Customs, careful how you answer your questions before they stamp your passport. Is your flight a direct flight?[smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

lover5 and wrb55rosco like this.
  3. lover5
    Chat with Me

lover5 Well-Known Member

I would add in some contrys they want to see your Hotel reservations as well as have your vax card on your phone as well as any other documents that need to be filled out I know Japan , Guam and Saipan have COVID declarations to fill out to give at customs and if you do them online it's quick and fast during travel and the dreaded PCR test as well 48hrs prior to travel hope this helps

4. cumishaamado
    Chat with Me

Thanks @lover5 for the additional info!!![smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

5. cumishaamado
    Chat with Me

Thanks @lover5 for liking my post!!![smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

6. cumishaamado
    Chat with Me

7. Sakaki
    Chat with Me

Sakaki Well-Known Member

I'm flying to New York then Belgium but on the way back I'll go to New York then a connecting flight home. From what I read I would go through customs in new York even though it's not my final destination?

8. Sakaki
    Chat with Me

Sakaki Well-Known Member

Belgium doesn't have any covid restrictions now the majority of countries don't anymore.

9. Correct, you go through customs at your port of entry into the country. Basically it is just like a more complex TSA process.

I dislike foreign travel, last time coming home I got held up by customs for like 6 hours because my company didn't file the "proper" paperwork. Not an enjoyable experience.

Just make sure you're not transporting anything organic. Many countries have strict rules against it, mainly due to invasive species.

10. wrb55rosco
    Chat with Me

wrb55rosco Well-Known Member

Sakaki , Which airline are you useing?
    Enjoy the flight.. Customs can be a pain. But , it’s your first time . So that’s understandable.. As Your not in the system… Depending on the line , it can be as slow or fast..

11. One addendum: MOST of the time travelers will go through customs at the port of entry but there are some exceptions. For example, last winter I went through customs in Vancouver, BC before departing to, I think, SFO.

But that will not be the case in Belgium. He will go through it at JFK where there is a mad rush depending on the time of arrival. Don't mess around after getting bags there because several international airlines will be headed to customs at the same time. You don't want to be behind 600 people - just sayin'. Also, assuming JFK airport - baggage handlers there are notorious for being controlled by the mafia. I advise against putting valuables in your checked luggage because it may get "lost" there.

Also, pay attention to how many items are allowed. Only a certain amount of alcohol, chocolate, etc, is allowed in. And obviously don't try to bring produce with you - that is a no no everywhere in the world.

12. Sakaki
    Chat with Me

Sakaki Well-Known Member

should i get a flight with a long layover? Id hate to miss a flight because it takes forever to get through customs. Are there services similar to tsa precheck but for international travel you can enroll in to get through customs faster?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  13. If you have even traveled domestically - or been following the news - you should always select long layovers if you can not fly direct. Also try to fly as early as possible. There are too many delays and cancellations due to staffing issues. Until this gets fixed, and it won't for a while, the days of flying the morning of or the day before a major event are gone because the chances of missing it is too great.

In the USA, I use both TSA-pre and Clear to get through security. Those don't exist internationally unless you are in a place like Vancouver, BC which has their own area of sovereign US "soil" kind of like Embassies exist around the world. There is no similar "cut-the-line" programs for customs or passport checks. Some are worse than others. Flying internationally I have had to get my bag, go through customs, leave (go outside) and re-enter a different door to go through security again before catching a connecting flight. And there are different rules seemingly everywhere you go. TSA will let you bring liquids through under 2 oz that I immediately had to throw away at Heathrow, for example. But Heathrow will laugh at you if you remove shoes, but TSA will make you (if not TSA-pre).

Bottom line - do your research for where you are going. Give yourself much more time than you think is necessary - and then add more time on top of that. It's much better to have a few hours to kill reading a book than to sprint through an airport/go outside/stand in an hour queue/and miss your flight. The system that was terrible 3 years ago is now completely broken.

14. Have printed copies your most important documents as well as photos of them in your phone in case you misplace them. Helps if you have a big bottle of booze to guzzle while waiting in customs lines as well.....

just kidding....

15. Sakaki
    Chat with Me

Sakaki Well-Known Member

I've decided to go to Toronto. I saw that they just stopped all restrictions. It's less than a 2hr flight for me and the tickets arnt that expensive. I'm flying air Canada I've heard mixed reviews but all airlines have issues with so many flights a day. From what I read all I need to do is show my passport and answer questions about how long I'm here and why I'm here and where I'm staying and questions similar.

16. raz42071
    Chat with Me

raz42071 Well-Known Member

You should have a smooth trip through customs then. I've had longer trips for work recently. Main issues were making sure I had a long enough of a layover in case I have to go thru customs prior to my connection back in the states. Since you have to go through questions get your luggage and back through security again.

But with your short flight I'm guessing no connections needed so you should be good. Enjoy!!