Can we get Solar???

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DesertRose, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DesertRose
    Chat with Me

DesertRose Renaissance Lady's Rendezvous!

I know it's a bit costly; though I honestly believe that we all could benefit from having Solar at the brothels. I wonder if it's possible to get the power bill way down if we did?
    Please feel free to add your own two cents. Thanks you all for reading my request.

BrigidErotes likes this.
  2. Entice Love
    Chat with Me

Entice Love Well-Known Member

Solar is usually something you would start out with when everything is brand new, or if you do install it it will be a great investment for later down the road. The price to install it is alot and that would lower the bill but they’d still have to dish out a lot of money to install it

3. Yes! Every business and residency should have solar!

DesertRose likes this.
  4. ChristineFowler
    Chat with Me

ChristineFowler California GFE/ Bay Area Girl Next Door

very awesome post! and interesting request!
    :rolleyes:
    xo,

signature .jpg

DesertRose likes this.
  5. Jessica Riley
    Chat with Me

Jessica Riley Well-Known Member

This would be cool, also getting a turbine generator so we not only cut costs, we could sell power back to the electric company and generate revenue from it while providing clean energy to the community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. wrb55rosco
    Chat with Me

wrb55rosco Well-Known Member

OK , but heres a 50.kw wind tower. That I have found, on E-Bay. For $169,900.00 . Plus Shipping,and installation.Rental of a crane and operator.And a lift.
    The tower its self is almost 60 ' in height. With close to a 30' blade dia. Needs a constant wind speed of app. 2.50 mph. Just to start. And then who is going to do the maintenance on it?

Now for those wanting solar.
    Found a solar unit @200kw for $220,000.00 .And that is a ground mount unit. This cost does not include the dirt work. And the concrete pads that are needed. Plus you will need a General contractor to run the show. from the dirt work,concrate,instaltion . And the electrical workers to hookup the unit. And god only knows how much that will cost. Yes these are not house units!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    DesertRose and Natasha Star like this.
  7. Natasha Star
    Chat with Me

Natasha Star Starlet of the Year! I put passion in compassion

As someone who lives off-grid, with a true negative carbon footprint property in Idaho, running mainly on solar power and wood, I vote no. Make that a hell no. It sounds good in theory, but there's SO much that goes into solar power. The cost to get it up and running at the ranches would be insane, and would probably take too long for an appropriate payback, if you break even within your lifetime.

I agree with @Entice Love that solar works best for new construction. In order to effectively use solar, you have to have a structure designed to work WITH the environment, incorporating things like passive solar design. Most modern structures are designed AGAINST the environment, with the idea that energy is cheap and abundant. Trying to take a structure that’s not designed properly and converting it to "green" energy, without massive renovations, means you will strain the heck out of your energy system to try to supply needs, and you'll need a much larger system to do it. Meaning cost and waste.

Let's set aside all the massive amounts of red tape just to get an installation going, and the price that comes with all the start up and contractors, it would still be a crap investment. One: Heating elements. The wattage needed to run the heating system in Sagebrush alone would suck up your entire winter solar hour usage. I'm not aware of anything that sucks up power more than heating elements. ONE hair dryer uses about 1875 Watts. A standard solar panel is in the 200watt to 250 watt range. Running a hair dryer for ten to fifteen minutes would use up close to 500watts. To provide that energy, it would take 2 or 3 solar panels, in 100% full solar at precise solar matched angle, an entire hour to recover that energy. You only have about an average of 6 hours of usable productive sun each day (yes, 6. Going into the details of why will take an essay to write), then the angle and diminishing light drop voltage significantly. So 3 panels of your array are out of commission for an entire hour of your 6 hours of energy production each day, just to run ONE hair dryer, for fifteen minutes. That's the reality of solar power.

A single standard light bulb that runs for 24 hours (there's about 50 of them on that red light district sign) consumes a whopping 2400watts. That one sign would use about 120,000 watts per day. To cover that sign alone, you'd need 100 standard 200Watt panels in full sun for an entire day to generate that energy. One hundred panels, completely, entirely, 100% dedicated, to only powering that sign. And that is not accounting for system inefficiencies (usually 10-15% loss) and not accounting for overproduction needs to accommodate for low light days/snow days/stormy day/overcast days. It’s assuming perfect days, every day. So, in reality, you need significantly more panels just to offset that one sign’s electricity.

At a GENEROUS standard industry pricing of $1 a watt for solar panels (it’s closer to $1.50-$2.00 a watt), you need a dedicated solar array whose panels alone cost over $20,000, just to power that one sign. And that $20,000 is not the entire system cost. You need to buy land to place the one hundred panels with good southern orientation and exposure, plus, the charge controllers, inverters, wiring, fuses, array stand, grid-tie components, etc. The system will easily hit closer to $40,000 dollars for installation and all components, plus another maybe $30,000+ in land price (it has to be nearby). So between $40,000 and $70,000 dollars … to power one sign.

Plus, you are dependent on grid tied electricity to function, so you are still linked to a oil/coal/gas power. Grid electricity is required to be supplied to you at night to keep the lights on. You are burning oil and coal 18 hours a day, and only producing green energy for 6 hours. You are simply hoping you generate enough during the day to offset your use at night. And the more panels you buy to ensure that offset, the more mining, materials, production and greehouse emissions you're responsible for in their production. There's a lot of pollution that goes into making solar panels. Last I checked, it takes about ten to fifteen years on standard installations to reach environmental impact neutral. And that’s for arrays of only 15 to 20 panels. You are talking about a 100 panel array just to power a sign. Plus standard installations require all power to be cut in the event of a power outage to prevent back-flow energizing the lines as workers are trying to repair power lines during a storm. Thus when the city power goes out, so do you.

Don't even get me started on off-grid systems. They're a completely different animal, requiring battery banks.

The ranches deal with lighting, industrial refrigerators, dozens of computer systems, hair dryers and curlers and other heating elements, hot water heaters, stoves and ovens (CRINGE!!), microwaves, etc. Unless you replaced every single unit to energy efficient DC units and LED constructs, you're shooting yourself before even hooking up the panels. We would suck up every bit of power those panels created, and we would still be dependent on the grid tied power to bridge the gap between production and demand; sell back wouldn't even be an option. Not even close.

I'll exaggerate here for effect, but you would probably need ACRES of solar panels to make gains for all of the ranches. Lots and lots of acres. Oh, and you will need someone to remove all the snow and ice off them in winter as well. Snow on the panels = no energy creation. Even a tiny amount of shade on just one quarter of one panel can tank the power output. One large bird crap, or a single leaf blowing onto a panel can dramatically drop its output. I had a weed grow tall enough to shade one cell on one of my bottom most panels, and it became a power suck that dramatically dropped the output from the entire array.

You see, panels always produce amperage, but the voltage varies by light and shading. The voltage is what PUSHES the power around. Without enough voltage, all the power being generated by the panels won't go anywhere.

Wind power is a bit of a joke, and no way could we create sufficient energy to realistically offset costs at the ranches. I have a 950 watt wind turbine on my homestead. Basically a 1 kilowatt wind generator. It's a PITA and I plan to dismantle it so I can turn it into a bicycle generator instead. I'll get more use out of it that way. It's basically useless. And it’s a low wind speed cut-in model too.

I can go on and on and on about this, but this is already insanely long and I haven’t even hit details. Don't get me wrong, I love solar and love my solar powered house, and I was able to do it very inexpensively ... but I also built the cabin to accommodate solar power. Not the other way around. Solar can work. But you need to be realistic about it, and understand its limitation, which can be severe.

8. Natasha Star
    Chat with Me

Natasha Star Starlet of the Year! I put passion in compassion

I also have to add here, that I agree with this. The costs I posted are lower, but I've been dealing with this for years. I actually know how to get them around $0.15 a watt, but ya gotta really know industry tricks to get that.

Which leads me to "the industry," which I feel is incredibly predatory. Going through the typical solar and "green" companies will get those prices to skyrocket.

wrb55rosco likes this.
  9. cumishaamado
    Chat with Me

cumishaamado Love Virgins, Couples & Girlfriend Experience

Awesome info @wrb55rosco!!! Thanks for sharing!!![smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

10. ... 0_0 ...

damn, Sam!

if i knew anything about it, that's exactly the two cents i'd give, and this in common between us gives me an idea ;) .

grizzly and Natasha Star like this.
  11. AjaMercury
    Chat with Me

AjaMercury Heavenly Mercury Incarnate

I've lived off-grid for 2+years, entirely reliant on solar and propane with no grid-connections. All the ranches appliances would have to be switched to low voltage or propane, which is incredibly costly and unlikely to happen. Considering a lot of the ranches are just a series of trailers, the cost to convert the building themselves to be compatible would be insane. All our heat is electric, including for our water (of which we use A LOT of). Rules would have to implemented like time limits on showers, limits on laundry, and how often and how long hairdryers and curling irons could be on and used. It would limit cleanliness, upkeep/appearance, food prep, ect. more than you might initially think. So I vote NO, we would need a small towns worth of clean energy sources to even begin to power the brothels with the ease and luxury we have now.

grizzly and Brandon E Bolhuis like this.
  12. joe carbols
    Chat with Me

joe carbols Well-Known Member

Great insight @Natasha Star on the various opportunities. While I have built two brand new homes in an agrarian part of Ohio I have had excellent results and tremendous cost savings with a Geo-Thermal heating/ac and hot water system. The first house I built in 1995 is still running strong and their electric bill is about 1/3 of the surrounding neighbors.

My last house I built I upgraded the system and my electric bill is 1/4 of similar homes in the neighborhood. I also have a wood burner soap stone stove in my sun room keeping the first floor pleasant at 72 -74 degrees F.

If there is one improvement that I think makes the most sense is to have water softeners installed at the ranches. While I love my encounters in the shower before and after to get slickerly doodly clean with the compassionate @cumishaamado the water is just so hard and my sensitive baby skin just hates the hard water. But.... that is the only gripe I have at all of the ranches that I have enjoyed

Very good opinion. I agree if you start from ground up solar and off the grid can be done but the whole house needs to be designed with an Energy architect to truly make it cost effective.

My next house that build will incorporate solar/geothermal/wood stove for the heating cooling and hot water and yes I will have a water softener as well

13. cumishaamado
    Chat with Me

cumishaamado Love Virgins, Couples & Girlfriend Experience

Thanks @joe carbols for mentioning me in your post!!! You are a "Sweetheart"!!![smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

14. Damn..... nothin like engineer talk to get you worked up....