Getting my geek on

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Old Nick, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Old Nick Well-Known Member

CCC1478D-5235-485F-8F6F-CBC9C8A493F2.jpeg 5A5A9CFD-7B5F-4E77-9575-1D686790B0BF.jpeg

Of course, I had to get this! The remake of Link’s Awakening. I’ve played the original many times on the old Game Boy. It made road trips, orthodontist visits, and obligatory restaurant trips bearable. With the remake, it seems there are a lot of improvements and more things added. I can’t wait to see what’s changed, other than the graphical style and the animated intro.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    auron79 and AsiaFoxxx like this.
  2. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

40294B9F-6841-40F1-8F9C-C4E6B3B4A115.jpeg

Yesterday was Nintendo’s 130th year as a company.

Wait, what? Nintendo is 130 years old?! Well, yes, it is! The company that gave us Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokémon, was actually founded way back in 1889! Founded by Fusajiro Yamauchi, the company was named Nintendo, which roughly translated, means “Leave luck to heaven.” Nintendo produced Hanafuda playing cards and in the 1969s, explored other venues, such as love hotels and taxi services. They abandoned those in favor of becoming a toy company.

Nintendo was largely a family business. This changed when Hiroshi Yamauchi became president, and fired his family members. He then took Nintendo in the direction that it’s currently in today, as a novelty and entertainment company. They produced and sold the Ultra Hand, which was invented by Gunpei Yokoi, who was also responsible for the Game & Watch series, which subsequently led to the Game Boy. In the 1970s, they hired a man who would ultimately give Nintendo their bread and butter...Shigeru Miyamoto, who was brought on as an artist and designer, and was the creator of the Mario series and Zelda series.

Nintendo dabbled in technology, which led to them getting into the arcade market and sending a little game called Donkey Kong our way. After several arcade games, half of which never initially made it to the states (like Sheriff, Space Firebird, and until it’s Switch release, Sky Skipper), they created the Famicom in Japan, which was known on our shores as the Nintendo Entertainment System.

So when your playing your Switch, as I am, just think that it all started with Hanafuda cards.

Happy birthday Nintendo!

RunningSquirrel likes this.
  3. I have been considering this how do you liek it

Old Nick likes this.

4. I’m pretty sure that today is Nintendo 64s birthday

Old Nick likes this.
  5. I like the logo history didn’t know that but pretty cool

Old Nick likes this.
  6. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

I’m enjoying it! I like the dungeon editor, though I haven’t spent a whole lot of time on it. Aside from that extra, very little has changed. It’s the classic Game Boy game with a modern facelift.

AsiaFoxxx likes this.
  7. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Indeed! Though I had to wait till Christmas to get mine. The games I enjoyed the most were Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Doom 64 (which is getting a Switch release soon), and Conker’s Bad Fur Day.

AsiaFoxxx likes this.
  8. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

I actually have a deck of Hanafuda playing cards. A Club Nintendo prize. My ex wanted to sell them. I told her she’d have to kill me first.

AsiaFoxxx likes this.
  9. I remember having Zelda on maybe n64? But that was ages ago!

Old Nick likes this.
  10. I may leave this thread and never come back, those are some good games but you forgot my all time favorite on 64.... Goldeneye

auron79 and Old Nick like this.
  11. Lol are they worth anything these days?

Old Nick likes this.
  12. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

I’m not sure, but I’m keeping them, right along with my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1.

AsiaFoxxx likes this.
  13. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

I knew I forgot one. I have that one, too.

AsiaFoxxx likes this.
  14. auron79
    Chat with Me

auron79 Well-Known Member

Please make a Nintendo 64 classic. I missed out on that system.

AsiaFoxxx and Old Nick like this.
  15. auron79
    Chat with Me

I have one but you can't see a whole lot of the costume.

AsiaFoxxx likes this.
  16. auron79
    Chat with Me

Let me know if you do go by one and see what they say. I couldn't stand the corrupted data thing either.

AsiaFoxxx likes this.
  17. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

2B8FEE1C-15A5-48D0-825E-D53EBF2A0220.jpeg

“Hey guys! Do you remember when we killed that cop, and a corporation we worked for made him into a cyborg which came after us? Good times!”

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    auron79 and RunningSquirrel like this.
  18. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Ever played the first Ninja Turtles game on the NES? Dorkly made a video about it.

JerryVestal, AsiaFoxxx and auron79 like this.
  19. ha, i enjoyed it back in the day. the dam was a hard level, but not much worse then the battle toads race level.

JerryVestal and Old Nick like this.
  20. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

1A2E021D-9C12-48DA-A4A7-9A6DF6AD2CAE.jpeg

Nick, get your ass to Nevada...yesterday!

AsiaFoxxx, auron79 and renark like this.
  21. auron79
    Chat with Me

Got room in that tornado to get us back to Nevada? I got the red crystal! LOL

Old Nick likes this.
  22. Lol I can respect that but always worth checking out what if you were sitting on a goldmine

23. My all time favorite story and playing four way split screen

Old Nick likes this.
  24. I actually could have gotten one recently it was an all red clear one and they wanted 75$ no controllers or games I considered it but didn’t want to track down the stuff

auron79 likes this.
  25. Wasn’t there a game on 64 maybe called crusin USA?

Old Nick likes this.
  26. No worries , you doing any costume for Halloween this year ?

27. I never got blessed with nes or snes my first system was the genesis

renark likes this.
  28. Come visit me we can geek out lol so to speak

Old Nick likes this.
  29. Sheesh (let’s out deep breath) so as much as I hate to say it because I love the place these crooks at GameStop tried to give me thirty five dollars for the PlayStation 4 and it was Atleast last gen if not current. The system works fine I Netflix YouTube prime whatever and all the games I have work but recently it has a hard time reading as I explained before, but it makes a disc ejecting noise regardless of a disc is in the drive or not upon power up so I decided it may be time to bite the bullet so to speak and grab the pro trade in my trouble maker figured I would get like maybe 100 or so off my new system but they told me they corrupted message is unrepairable the system will soon brick blah blah blah so I decided for 35$ credit I may as well keep it and ride it out till it meets the programmers in the sky lol

auron79 and Old Nick like this.
  30. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Yes there was. There was also Crusin World and Crusin Exotica. I also saw a new Crusin game at a Classic Fun Center. Surprised that Nintendo hasn’t done much with the Crusin series...on second thought, there’s a lot of games they haven’t done a whole lot with.

31. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

I still have mine. I hope it still works.

auron79 likes this.
  32. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

41E516B2-1262-446B-B194-ABD0D781C0C3.jpeg

“You got your balls to the wall!”

Funny story...when I heard Accept for the first time, I thought it was AC/DC. Udo Dirkscheider sounded almost like Brian Johnson.

33. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

AsiaFoxxx likes this.
  34. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

I’d like that. [smilie=heart fill with love.gif]

35. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

I’ve been wanting to play this for a while now. Hell, I need to find a copy of the 3DS version of Corpse Party.

auron79 likes this.