About Me My Disabilities

Discussion in 'Sagebrush Ranch Carson City Forum' started by CataleyaLunas, Jun 28, 2023.

1. CataleyaLunas
    Chat with Me

CataleyaLunas The good girl who will do dirty things to you

Today I wanted to talk about some of my disabilities. Some of you may not know that I actually have Syringomyelia, auditory processing disorder, and memory issues. I wanted to dive into these three today because they are my main conditions. Syringomyelia is a filled like cyst that is inside my spinal cord, it is called a syrinx. The syrinx is located in the thoracic part of my spinal cord. At some point I also had syringobulbia which is similar to syringomyelia it just reaches your brain stem. The last time I saw my neurosurgeon he said it thankfully collapsed in that area of my spinal cord. I am unsure at what point in time I got injured and it caused that damage to my spinal cord but I found out about my condition about a year ago. Some of the symptoms I experience are muscle weakness, breathing issues, nerve pain all over my body, I've also have lost feeling in parts of my body but it is patchy. Now lets talk about my auditory processing disorder, I found out about this condition after I had a head injury. I struggle with understanding people when there is a lot of background noise, I confuse words at times if they sound similar. I struggle when things are said to me indirectly, due to struggling with connecting the dots. I struggle with multiple step instructions as well and it is more difficult for me to read and write now. The last subject we will talk about today is my memory issue that is also connected to my head injury. I struggle more with long term memory then short-term memory. Sometimes my mind goes blank when I think too hard to remember things. To compensate for this one I write things down but at times I do repeat myself. Please know I don't mean to forget I am getting therapy to work on it but it is something I struggle with on my everyday life. If you have any questions about my conditions or have some similar to mine would love to hear about them. I love connecting with others who have disabilities as well. Thank you for reading.

2. Baba1234
    Chat with Me

Baba1234 Well-Known Member

Hope you get well soon.........................................................

CataleyaLunas likes this.
  3. grizzly
    Chat with Me

grizzly Well-Known Member

Thank you for having the courage to share with us about your disabilities! For me personally, it helps when communicating both behind closed doors and in a noisy setting to know how to communicate better and what are good positions to.make you more comfortable!
    I am glad you are not letting it stop you! And our getting the help you need to get better!!

I have Post Traumatic Osteoarthritis in multiple joints due to multiple car wrecks, stunt work as an actor and working hard manual labor for so many years. I have a disgenerative disc disease in L5 and S1, which for.me makes it difficult to do it in certain positions for so long! I have broken my collarbone, left wrist, left elbow, left thumb scaphoid, partially sublexed my left knee twice ( knee surgery x2) severally sprained both ankles, pulled a muscle in my left arch, damaged kidneys during law enforcement training. Kicked in the head by a horse as a kid. Multiple whiplash and concussions through my 45 yrs of living. 80% neuropathy in my right hand/arm from being hit by a drunk driver. I also have been clinically dead once!

tahoebigbear and CataleyaLunas like this.
  4. CataleyaLunas
    Chat with Me

Wow Im sorry you have been through all of that. It’s difficult to have invisible injuries, thank you for sharing. I know life can be difficult at times to cope with everything.

grizzly likes this.
  5. I'm on the high functioning autism disorder. Also, I was born with a childhood birth defect that effects the way I walk. People in the public think I'm drunk. I live a sober life. I been stopped by our local police department when I'm walking. They give me a breathalyizer test to check if I been drinking. They're surprise when it comes out 0.00. They don't apolozie for stopping me.

CataleyaLunas likes this.
  6. CataleyaLunas
    Chat with Me

Omg! I am soo sorry you constantly have to go through that. I am aware it isn’t the same but I have people talk to me like I am dumb whenever I can’t understand what they are saying. I think it’s beyond hurtful to do things like that and then not even apologize.

aztecwarrior2881 likes this.