Nevada Day: Delving into Nevada's Birthday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by James Media, Oct 27, 2023.

1. Hello Everyone, with today being Nevada Day figured I would share the history of this day!

As the last week of October approaches, it's not just Halloween that comes to mind, especially for Nevadans. October 31st also marks a significant celebration for the Silver State: Nevada Day.

Let's journey back in time and explore the origins and significance of this day.

1. Birth of a State:

Nevada Day commemorates the admission of the state of Nevada into the union on October 31, 1864. Amidst the turmoil of the Civil War, Nevada's statehood was fast-tracked. It was hoped that the mineral wealth from Nevada would bolster the Union's coffers and its entry would mean additional pro-Union votes. Indeed, the phrase "Battle Born," which you'll find on the state flag, signifies Nevada's entry during these tumultuous times.

2. From Admission to Celebration:

The first recorded celebration dates back to 1873, seven years after Nevada achieved statehood. It was observed informally until it became a state holiday in 1933.

3. Changing Dates:

While October 31st marks the official admission day, in 2000, the Nevada Legislature decided that the holiday would be observed on the last Friday in October. This change allowed for a three-day weekend, sparking more elaborate celebrations and gatherings.

4. Today's Festivities:

The most significant Nevada Day celebration occurs in the state capital, Carson City. Highlights include a parade, a carnival, and the traditional beard contest. The Governor also partakes in the festivities, lighting a ceremonial torch. You'll also find various educational events that shine a light on Nevada's rich history, culture, and contributions to the nation.

5. Fun Fact:

Nevada is often referred to as the "Battle Born State" because it attained statehood during the Civil War. You'll find this moniker on state flags, emphasizing the state's resilient spirit.
    It's truly heartening to see Nevadans come together each year, celebrating not just the history but also the diverse culture, landscapes, and people that make Nevada unique. Whether you're a resident or just a curious observer, Nevada Day offers a vibrant glimpse into the heart of this state.

Happy Nevada Day Everyone!

JamieJupiter and Lunch Buffett like this.
  2. SophiaSun
    Chat with Me

SophiaSun Well-Known Member

Happy Nevada day!![smilie=heart fill with love.gif][smilie=hot over you.gif]

JamieJupiter likes this.
  3. Happy Nevada day and thanks James for those fun facts!!

JamieJupiter likes this.
  4. Happy Nevada Day!! It's always one of my favorite days of the year!

JamieJupiter likes this.
  5. LolaLaBella
    Chat with Me

LolaLaBella Well-Known Member

Happy Nevada day! Thank you for this great information James.

JamieJupiter likes this.
  6. LitaLecherous
    Chat with Me

LitaLecherous Your Perverted Pin-Up Girlfriend

Thank you for sharing this! I love learning about different traditions and holidays.

JamieJupiter likes this.
  7. origlegman
    Chat with Me

origlegman Well-Known Member

;)[smilie=hi ya!.gif] Thank you for this informative post James. I learned a few things today. ;)[smilie=happy.gif][smilie=hi ya!.gif]

JamieJupiter likes this.
  8. EllieAmes
    Chat with Me

EllieAmes Sinfully Delicious

Great information! Thank you for sharing!

JamieJupiter likes this.
  9. James, thank you so much for making this post! Ever since I moved here I always wondered what the meaning of Nevada Day was. Such a fantastic and informative post.

JamieJupiter likes this.
  10. JamieJupiter
    Chat with Me

JamieJupiter Classic Italian Beauty

Thanks, James! I love learning history and culture. I need to see this beard contest