Pro wrestling thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Old Nick, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Old Nick Well-Known Member

I might as well do a thread for pro wrestling as it’s one of many things I enjoy. At my job at the city, I used to get a lot of heat because I enjoy pro wrestling more than MMA or UFC. I tried watching UFC. I got bored with it.

Yes, wrestling is scripted. So what? Each match is like a movie. The wrestlers are the actors. The promoter is the producer. The booker is the writer. The referee is the director. I find it much more fun to watch.

Wrestling does have its own vernacular. Jim Cornette explained that in the old days of territories, before the large touring promotions came along, promoters would send telegrams to each other, using the vernacular to “protect the business,” to keep kayfabe. These days, it’s all common knowledge, much like how movies are made.

So here it is, a wrestling glossary.

Put over: Winning a match.

Job: Lose a match. Also known as “doing the job,” or “jobbing.” There are wrestlers that serve as “enhancement talent,” or “jobbers,” whose function is to elevate other talent by losing their matches. These could be young wrestlers just starting out, or veterans getting a new generation ready.

Get over: How the crowd receives a wrestler.

Babyface or face: Good guy.

Heel: Bad guy.

Turn: When a wrestler switches alignment. Heel turns can be instant, while face turns are more gradual.

Drawing heat: The crowd’s reaction to when a heel wrestler does something dastardly. This could be a face wrestler turning heel, a tag team betrayal, or a heel stable attacking face wrestlers and standing over the fallen wrestlers posing.

Work: Scripted.

Shoot: Unscripted. This could be a shoot interview or a shoot fight.

Cut a promo: A wrestler talks about his or her next match.

Ring rats: Fans with a sexual attraction to wrestlers.

Potatoes: Real punches or kicks. It’s been known to happen if a wrestler wants to teach his opponent a lesson for botching a move by going off script and fighting them for real. One example is Perry Saturn. Saturn went off on his opponent by turning an otherwise normal match into a shoot fight.

I figured it could be a fun thread. Are there any wrestling promotions in the Reno area?

dragonhart likes this.
  2. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Before he retires from wrestling, I hope Jeff Hardy brings back his Willow character in WWE. My ex wife hated Impact Wrestling, but will watch WWE. I’m mostly watching AEW these days.

I actually knew Jeff in high school. He had a homemade Willow The Wisp costume, and he walked around the school wearing it. It was awesome!

3. BigAlbowski
    Chat with Me

BigAlbowski Well-Known Member

I like Willow persona too!
    Have you seen the Starz series HEELS?
    Though not as into wrestling as I use to be, I still try to stay up on things.

Old Nick likes this.
  4. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Terry Funk vs Sabu in a barbed wire match. Nit that fake, plastic barbed wire, either. The real stuff!

BigAlbowski likes this.
  5. Sabu is legitimately nuts. Getting his bicep torn in half by barbed wire and just wrapping it to continue the match.

I don't watch nearly as much pro wrestling as I once did, mainly because my favorite performers are now retired and the current programs are just... meh.

Old Nick and BigAlbowski like this.
  6. Canadian1987
    Chat with Me

Canadian1987 Well-Known Member

He recently teased a character change so we might get Willow

Old Nick likes this.
  7. Lunch Buffett
    Chat with Me

Lunch Buffett Well-Known Member

How many wrestling leagues are there? I grew up watching WWE. A few days ago, I saw an advertisement for a wrestling league that was created by wrestling fans.

Old Nick likes this.
  8. dragonhart
    Chat with Me

dragonhart Well-Known Member

the main ones right now are AEW,ROH Ring of honor which is really odd just given how small the ring is. Wow an all womens company. MLW , New Japan alot of the best wrestlers have come from or been in new japan. the NWA is still around. think they have a youtube or online show. AAA is the main mexican league and Impact which was TNA. AEW, Impact, New Japan and AAA have a working partnership that share talent back and forth which i Think is great for wrestling as a whole.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Lunch Buffett likes this.
  9. dragonhart
    Chat with Me

Flair and Nia had a shoot here a few weeks ago. Not sure what started it but they got into in pretty heavy turning the match on raw.

10. dragonhart
    Chat with Me

HA...... make me think of a comment that was said to me and my nephew once. when it came to wrestling and wrstling history we are "Two vats of useless information." at one time between us and wwe,wcw,nwa,awa there was almost nothing one of us didnt know. that fact we could trace back storylines years

11. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Right now, the major players are WWE, AEW, Impact Wrestling, New Japan, and ROH. Smaller promotions of note are SHIMMER, CZW (if they’re still around), DCW (a Utah based promotion with a Twitch show), MLW, and I think WOW, which was disbanded but came back. Hell, I’m thinking of doing my own show using WWE 2K14’s story creator mode. I just need to buy a capture card.

Lunch Buffett likes this.
  12. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

WWE just fired more wrestlers! WWE is a joke anymore!

13. kevinz0071
    Chat with Me

kevinz0071 Well-Known Member

Grew up watching WWF first Wrestlemania I watched was Wrestlemania 3 wesome stuff I lost following it currently but I liked the old school stuff. Royal Rumble was always my favorite

Old Nick likes this.
  14. dragonhart
    Chat with Me

aew just showed the world what a great promo was between cm punk and mjf last week. its on youtube.

Old Nick likes this.
  15. Arthur Dent
    Chat with Me

Arthur Dent Well-Known Member

When I was a kid I used to watch Saturday Night Wrestling on KTVT. There were the Von Erichs and the Freebirds and Wahoo McDaniels. I think it was at Northside Coliseum (where I went to be a movie extra once). Must have been the early 70's just before I started high school.

And then I would stay up and watch roller derby.

BigAlbowski and Old Nick like this.
  16. Lunch Buffett
    Chat with Me

I just watched Tony Nese vs Sammy Guevara on AEW. Sammy won, but the fight lasted too long.

I'm really digging Jade Cargill. She won her match immediately. The after match brawl lasted longer, and it took four referees to break it up! The referees weren't actually doing anything. I think the referees were there only to make it seem like the wrestlers were breaking lots of rules.

17. Arthur Dent
    Chat with Me

Arthur Dent Well-Known Member

My favorite in those days was the Missing Link. I think he was associated with the Freebirds.

18. dragonhart
    Chat with Me

jade i dont care for. i mean she has a look but just everything about her and what they put in the ring with just bleh. best thing in aew right now is punk and mjf. they have yet to fight but been a master class how to work a mic and the crowds.

19. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Jeff Hardy got released this week. He might finish out his career by rejoining Matt in AEW. Matt certainly wants it.

20. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

I think most of the wrestlers on Jim Cornette’s shitlist are there simply because they exist. I’m sure if I were a wrestler, he’d hate my guts too.

21. Michael
    Chat with Me

Michael Well-Known Member

I have a good wrestling movie to suggest. It's called "I like to hurt people" and it's about the original Sheik, Edward Farhat, who's also the uncle of Sabu and trainer of Rob Van Dam. There's a lot of wrestlers in this film people will be familiar with like Dusty Rhodes, Terry and Dory Funk, Jr, Abdullah the Butcher and Bobo Brasil.

Old Nick likes this.
  22. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

23. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

24. Old Nick
    Chat with Me

Damn…:(:(:(:(:(:(

RIP, Razor.

EDBF21BF-7004-4CDA-B8D6-16E6DB99764D.jpeg

BigAlbowski likes this.
  25. Lunch Buffett
    Chat with Me

I just watched the WWE Wrestling Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. It was amusing to watch 20 wrestlers eliminate themselves from the match in the most ridiculous ways. o_Oo_O

Old Nick and BigAlbowski like this.
  26. Canadian1987
    Chat with Me

Canadian1987 Well-Known Member

wrestlemania today night 1 I wish they'd go back to 1 night

Old Nick likes this.
  27. Michael
    Chat with Me

Michael Well-Known Member

Shout out to the best villain in professional wrestling right now in my opinion, MJF!

Old Nick likes this.